Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO THE FORUM, INTRODUCING A NEW "FORUM MEMBER" SUBSCRIPTION MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY FOR NON-ARG MEMBERS.This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Admiralty Charts

Admiralty Charts 17 Feb 2017 23:21 #1

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 455
A lot of coastal bombing and gunnery ranges maps were overlaid on Admiralty Charts and pre-war range areas were marked on charts. However during wartime any area used for gunnery, bombing or artillery was marked as "Firing Danger Area". What they did mark where the beacons, land based flagstaffs and buoys associated with ranges. They also marked targets. This has proved extremely helpful in identifying where targets for bombing ranges were placed and also confirmed the location of a range that may only have been suspected.

The National Library of Scotland has been making many very good quality scans of maps available online for free and this included Admiralty charts for Scotland, many wartime and postwar ones showing these targets. However some are clearly rifle range targets and this is a reasonable assumption if they were on maps from the Edwardian Period as well.

maps.nls.uk/index.html

I recently purchased a second hand book of 352 charts covering the channel coasts of Britain and France dated April 1943. Although in poor condition (it was cheap) it was okay for my purposes but only one chart showed any target and that was Poole Harbour (see attached). One was south of Brownsea Island, which was used by Sandbanks but the other was west of Brownsea and I have now idea what that was for.

Sadly there are not many charts from the wartime period and the decade after available online or for sale at a reasonable price but I hope to seek out more charts to confirm locations and to see if new ones reveal themselves. The Hydrographic Office Archives are down in Taunton so a rather expensive trip but if I am allowed to view many charts it may be worth it.
Meanwhile if anyone has an old chart with "Target" on it somewhere let me know either in this thread or by PM as I already have quite a few.

01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Admiralty Charts 06 Dec 2018 22:10 #2

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 455
Strangford Lough

Has anyone got a wartime or very early post war chart of Strangford Lough that shows where the various targets were located? The charts of that period didn't show bombing and gunnery ranges with their danger areas marked but they did show moored targets and sometimes the range limit buoys. All the charts I have seen have been pre-war of post 1950. The only wartime chart I have seen of the area (NLS collection) has been a much larger area with no detail shown.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.389 seconds