Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO THE FORUM, INTRODUCING A NEW "FORUM MEMBER" SUBSCRIPTION MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY FOR NON-ARG MEMBERS.This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC: The bomb whistled!

The bomb whistled! 10 Jan 2019 16:18 #1

• John Anderson
  • John Anderson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 58

The Dutch public have been warned it is "strictly ill-advised to lie down on a bomb", after a man did just that for about three hours.

The man came across an unexploded World War Two device while gardening in the town of Venlo on Wednesday.
When it started whistling he covered it with his body, apparently trying to limit the damage.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46828770

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by P Bellamy. Reason: Added context to an otherwise bare web link.

The bomb whistled! 10 Jan 2019 22:37 #2

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 502
I wonder what it was whistling? Boom Bang a Bang perhaps? :)

If it was a hand grenade would that have worked? I have heard stories of soldiers diving on a grenade to save their comrades but most seem to be on the German ones which I don't think was a frag type. One account records that a "potato masher" land very close to a soldier but he survived with just being dazed after being unconscious for a while. I don't know about a Mills type.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

The bomb whistled! 11 Jan 2019 06:22 #3

• PETERTHEEATER
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 414

John Anderson wrote:

The Dutch public have been warned it is "strictly ill-advised to lie down on a bomb", after a man did just that for about three hours.

The man came across an unexploded World War Two device while gardening in the town of Venlo on Wednesday.
When it started whistling he covered it with his body, apparently trying to limit the damage.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46828770

A strange report. The 'device' may have been a marine marker or similar which contains a chemical that reacts to moisture by producing a gas. Emitted through a small hole this can make a whistling sound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: canberra

The bomb whistled! 11 Jan 2019 15:26 #4

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 75
I was taught that there are two types of hand grenade, offensive and defensive. An offensive grenade is used when attacking , these produce blast but little else, after all you dont want to be caught up by your own shrapnel do you? Hence the phrase "hoist by your own petard". A petard was an early form of bomb. A defensive grenade produces a lot of shrapnel to do maximum damage to anyone assaulting a position.

The bomb whistled! 11 Jan 2019 22:08 #5

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 587
I would have thought it would be the other way around because a defensive grenade is more likely to used against people close to you but an offensive will be thrown into enemy positions some distance away.

But I see the defensive ones are fragmentation because used from behind some sort of cover like a wall. Sounds very dodgy to me!

Last edit: by mbriscoe.

The bomb whistled! 12 Jan 2019 10:37 #6

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 75
And to confuse things slightly, Britain just uses offensive hand grenades. But does it? Im wondering as I type this if the grenade launcher that fits under the SA80 has replaced hand grenades?

The bomb whistled! 12 Jan 2019 11:42 #7

• Peter Kirk
  • Thank you received: 502
Are the various types of stun/acoustic grenades replacing the more deadly types? Safer in this day and age where collateral damage is avoided. Better to leave innocent civilians with a severe headache than splattered on the walls.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

The bomb whistled! 12 Jan 2019 12:13 #8

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 587

Peter Kirk wrote: Are the various types of stun/acoustic grenades replacing the more deadly types? Safer in this day and age where collateral damage is avoided. Better to leave innocent civilians with a severe headache than splattered on the walls.

So they can get a dodgy lawyer to sue the UK government for a few million pounds?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds