Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: I may just be old age but....

I may just be old age but.... 23 Mar 2019 10:10 #21

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 629

canberra wrote: Washing up liquid is brilliant at cleaning spectacles.

In WWI, the Lovat Scouts (or might have been Lovat Scout Sharpshooters) used to get a box of Famous Grouse regularly for cleaning the lenses of their telescopes and gun sights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I may just be old age but.... 23 Mar 2019 12:26 #22

• Peter Kirk
  • Peter Kirk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 554

canberra wrote: Washing up liquid is brilliant at cleaning spectacles.

I agree especially as the lens wipes from the big chains who deal in optics are worse than useless. Having said that the Zeiss lens wipes from Asda seem to be the best when your out and about, although the odd dry pack seems to crop up.

I often wondered why my glasses were always greasy on the inside and after looking through a jewellerys eyepiece I found there were thousands of little dots of grease in the middle and smears of it at the top. Turns out it is eyelashes flicking microdots and eyebrows smearing them! Also the oil around the nose is particularly resilient.
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

I may just be old age but.... 24 Mar 2019 14:10 #23

• Laskarina
  • Thank you received: 0
Keep it going , never laughed so much in my life............

I may just be old age but.... 11 Apr 2019 14:35 #24

• Peter Kirk
Now that I am retired I seem to spend more time chasing companies who fail to deliver in more ways than one, but have often been prevented by lack of a human at the other end. It often makes me wonder how you warn a big company that there is a bomb in their head office, there is no option for that. "Press 9 for bomb warnings".

My latest encounter was with DPD (spits on floor - then cleans it up) who announced on Tuesday that my parcel, which I was expecting, will be delivered on Wednesday, the only day we were going out. So I responded via the link to rearrange for Thursday and got a cheery message saying it will now be delivered on Thurday after 11am and we will contact you with a delivery slot. After lunch today (Thursday) no delivery and no contact. Checked the parcel tracker and it said it has been delivered to a DPD shop!

Now to try and phone them! All numbers seem to point to the same set of options, none of which will answer my question. I tried the email form online but first failed to understand the captcha and when I finally succeeded after about 8 attempts it came back as undelivered. What a flipping surprise. Final found a viable number by Googling HUMAN and DPD and got a human - hooray (medal please).

Turns out the sender has only put the parcel in for delivery this morning and it will be delivered to my house on Monday. Looking back I did think the sender was quick but this is now inline with my expectations for 65 large maps.

What I don't understand, and I find unforgivable, is the merry dance I have been led for two hours today on totally false information from DPD. Perhaps the younger viewers find this normal? Hopefully delivery will go okay. We normally use Royal Mail to send parcels but the downside is that they keep closing Post Offices so our nearest one is a drive away. Even the humble post boxes are disappearing making it more difficult to post letters without transport.

Tomorrows rant is about finding out that Rangoon wasn't eaten by an Aubergine after all - A musical reference for the old and weird
01010000 01100101 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001011 01101001 01110010 01101011

I may just be old age but.... 12 Apr 2019 09:46 #25

• Richard Austen
  • Thank you received: 31
I heartily sympathise with you, Peter. I, too, am retired and therefore of a generation that is qualified, absolutely, to rant and comment about how modern,trendy-wendy Companies operate in the sphere of customer service by offering nonsensical, multi-option choices, none of which seem to suit one's question. Oh for a human (preferably a sensible one) on the other end of the phone...

Permit me to offer my rant for the day.

The State Pension increase is based on, inter-alia, the Consumer Price Index, which this year saw an increase of just 2.6%. All around me, increases in Council Tax, utility bills and other necessities trounce this percentage figure. Are these offenders the subject of a different Consumer Price Index, one which bears no resemblance to the one upon which pensions and most wages are set?

Perhaps the potentially offending parties are asked not to publish their massive price-hiking percentages until after my Consumer Price Index based calculations are made...

I may just be old age but.... 12 Apr 2019 10:00 #26

• mbriscoe
  • Thank you received: 629
Problems with carriers seem common, very common! I always prefer Royal Mail if I have the choice.

I ordered something from Amazon earlier in the year, it had delivery in about ten days which was fine especially as I knew I would be out one day. Then I got a notification of delivery by Hermes on the day I would be out. I spent at least an hour trying to contact them but there is not way to request a different delivery time. So I EMailed Amazon and they told me that they had managed to re-arrange the delivery day.

I got back home and found a not saying the parcel was in the bin.

Last edit: by mbriscoe.

I may just be old age but.... 15 Apr 2019 22:01 #27

• Peter Kirk
The new neighbours seem to be playing video games as we can hear and feel the sound of booms and crashes - no sound insulation in 1930s semis, just a one brick thick party wall. This has put me in a good mood for another moan :)

I love dark chocolate and the wife treated me to a packet of large Bournville Buttons. Yay!

Sadly it was nay! They didn't bear any resemblance in taste to the Bournville slabs, which I have had recently, well, in the last decade and were wishy-washy in flavour and a huge disappointment.

To cap it my sister in law gave use some Lidl instant coffee, a large jar, which given to her by Lidl staff for free when she left the shop, apparently they do this. We tried it today and added a heaped teaspoon into our cups, not mugs, and tasted it.

It reminded me of what Baldrick used to make the coffee in Blackadder Goes Forth. It is superb at keeping cats away though as they do get snooty about coffee and insist on Milicano if it must be instant.

I may just be old age but.... 16 Apr 2019 07:13 #28

• IanDDavidson
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 106

Peter Kirk wrote: The new neighbours seem to be playing video games as we can hear and feel the sound of booms and crashes - no sound insulation in 1930s semis, just a one brick thick party wall. This has put me in a good mood for another moan :)

I love dark chocolate and the wife treated me to a packet of large Bournville Buttons. Yay!

Sadly it was nay! They didn't bear any resemblance in taste to the Bournville slabs, which I have had recently, well, in the last decade and were wishy-washy in flavour and a huge disappointment.

To cap it my sister in law gave use some Lidl instant coffee, a large jar, which given to her by Lidl staff for free when she left the shop, apparently they do this. We tried it today and added a heaped teaspoon into our cups, not mugs, and tasted it.

It reminded me of what Baldrick used to make the coffee in Blackadder Goes Forth. It is superb at keeping cats away though as they do get snooty about coffee and insist on Milicano if it must be instant.

Since Kraft or Mondelez took over Cadbury's in 2010 it has all changed. ( Green and Blacks is mondelez too!) The creme eggs are gritty, the Milk chocolate is not dairy milk and it goes on. My answer is I NEVER but anything Cadburys, ever. So old "Mondie Les" can take a hike. I have switched to lindt chocolate, or Ritter sport. OK its a bit more expensive so I eat less which is no bad thing.

Maynards changed the recipe for wine gums making them soft and horrible and taste different, so I don't buy those either.

Last edit: by IanDDavidson.

I may just be old age but.... 16 Apr 2019 09:26 #29

• canberra
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 91
My aunts first job was on the production line at Bournville, and its true you can eat all you want whilst on the line. However if you take anything from the line they class it as theft. On my last flight to Canada I was sat next to a couple going out to see their son and daughter in law, their hand luggage was full of chocolate as chocolate in Canada is not the same as ours.

I may just be old age but.... 16 Apr 2019 14:47 #30

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 340

IanDDavidson wrote: I have switched to lindt chocolate, or Ritter sport. OK its a bit more expensive so I eat less which is no bad thing..

Three weeks ago I was forced to eat chocolate! How terrible. Actually I went to the local hospital for a scan and I had to take some fatty food - chocolate being strongly recommended. I examined the labels in Tesco before buying and discovered the fat level of Lindt was way above the majority of the others I looked at. Did the job perfectly. Still awaiting the scan results and haven't died yet.;)
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:

Time to create page: 0.552 seconds