Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO THE FORUM, INTRODUCING A NEW "FORUM MEMBER" SUBSCRIPTION MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY FOR NON-ARG MEMBERS.This membership is available through our membership page www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/members/membership-rates for a annual fee of 10 pounds. For less than three pence per day you will be able to help ensure the continued existence of the forum.
More information on these changes is detailed within the ARG Community thread www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/forum/i...ing-changes-to-forum . Please contact us at www.airfieldresearchgroup.org.uk/contact-us if you have any questions in regards to the changes.
We hope you will understand the need to make this change to ensure the continued success of the forum and support the charity's decision.
Read More...

TOPIC: Double Threshold Lights

Double Threshold Lights 14 Mar 2019 08:31 #1

• jpfive
  • jpfive's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Anybody got any information regarding lighting consisting of double threshold lights.
I. E. 11 lights and 11 lights. The light fittings were holophane LR23. Era 1959s 1960s. Adsing to this 4 sodiums fodr wingbar were installed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Double Threshold Lights 14 Mar 2019 08:53 #2

• TerryClark
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 84
Where the threshold lights are at the end of the paved surface, they are often bi-directional showing green in the landng direction and red in the opposite direction; is this what you mean?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpfive

Double Threshold Lights 14 Mar 2019 10:31 #3

• jpfive
Yes but lights are omnidirectional. There are 11 at the threshold followed by transformer pit and then again 11 omnidirectional fittings. I know there were omnidirectional because the fitting casting shows LR23/B.

Double Threshold Lights 14 Mar 2019 11:37 #4

• Carnaby
  • Thank you received: 315
Are we discussing a particular airfield? Many of the disused sites I've visited which were active in the fifties and sixties exhibit significantly different runway lighting. Bovingdon, East Kirkby, Elvington and Hemswell spring immediately to mind. The word consistency seemed to have dropped from the English Language for the duration.
Plan A is always more effective when the problem you are working on understands that Plan B will involve the use of dynamite :twisted:

Double Threshold Lights 14 Mar 2019 12:20 #5

• jpfive
Maybe this will help. Airfield was used by RNAS USAF RAF NATO. HAL FAR airfield.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: by jpfive.

Double Threshold Lights 14 Mar 2019 12:42 #6

• jpfive
Edge lights spacing from threshold. First one 45m rest 60m.Wher can i find a publication of airfield requirements in those years.

Double Threshold Lights 15 Mar 2019 14:44 #7

• TerryClark
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

jpfive wrote: Yes but lights are omnidirectional. There are 11 at the threshold followed by transformer pit and then again 11 omnidirectional fittings. I know there were omnidirectional because the fitting casting shows LR23/B.

Flush fitting threshold lighting is never 'omni directional'; it is always uni-directional showing only to an aircraft on final approach.

Last edit: by TerryClark.

Double Threshold Lights 15 Mar 2019 14:47 #8

• jpfive
The fittings installed were omni directional both rows. Can it be they had filters to block the light in 1 direction.

Double Threshold Lights 15 Mar 2019 14:49 #9

• TerryClark
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

jpfive wrote: Edge lights spacing from threshold. First one 45m rest 60m.Wher can i find a publication of airfield requirements in those years.

Normal raised edge light spacing on a British military airfield is uni directional every 30m and co located omni directional every 90m.
Civil airfields usually have raised edge lights every 60m which are in a single unit giving a bi-directional high intensity output and a low intensity omni directional output.

Last edit: by TerryClark.

Double Threshold Lights 15 Mar 2019 14:56 #10

• TerryClark
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

jpfive wrote: The fittings installed were omni directional both rows. Can it be they had filters to block the light in 1 direction.

I suppose it's possible, but what would be the point in having an omni directional light then 'blocking' the output through most of the visible arc?(Unless they didn't have uni directional available but had a surplus of omnis')

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds