Aircraft Undercarriage widths

30 Aug 2012 10:12 #1 by al_fromthevalleys
Aircraft Undercarriage widths was created by al_fromthevalleys
Does anyone know the the undercarriage widths of:
An Avro Lancaster; Handley Page Halifax MkIII; Bristol Beaufighter and De Havilland Mosquito?

Its all part of my research on St Athan and Llandow's ASU dispersals. I need to find out how big gaps in field hedges needed to be to fit these aircraft through.

I've checked numerous Air rec books and none seem to have these dimensions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Aug 2012 02:59 #2 by PETERTHEEATER
Replied by PETERTHEEATER on topic Aircraft Undercarriage widths
Track:

Lancaster I - 23 feet 9 inches (7.24m)

Halifax III - 25 feet 6 inches

Beaufighter X - 18 feet 3 inches

Mosquito XVI - 16 feet 3 inches

Source - Janes All the Worlds Aircraft 1945

Note, for the last three I have had to calculate the track from a scale plan view using a scaling rule but it wont be far out. Remember, you are assuming that the landing gear track (width) is the deciding factor but these are all tail wheel aircraft and the span of the tailplane was greater than the u/c track. Also assumes that the wing is high enough to clear hedges.

31 Aug 2012 08:32 #3 by mawganmad
Replied by mawganmad on topic Aircraft Undercarriage widths
The tail-plane spans would be a crucial factor, especially when you consider the endplate fins of the Lancaster etc and how far they extend down.
I have the Lancaster with 33', Mosquito at 20'9'', and Hurricane at 11', these from Air Publications.

James Thomas

31 Aug 2012 09:05 #4 by PETERTHEEATER
Measuring the Lanc 1 outline with my scaling rule I make it between 33 and 34 feet (Tailplane span).

I shall wait for the OPs response before measuring the others.

31 Aug 2012 10:57 #5 by al_fromthevalleys
Replied by al_fromthevalleys on topic Aircraft Undercarriage widths
Thanks for responses, very useful. I didn't think about the tail being wider.

Wing heights aren't much of an issue because i've compared one of the hedges against myself and they are roughly 6ft 3in (or 3in taller than myself). Ive stood under a Lanc, Mossie and beaufighter with enough room above my head (couldn't get precise measurements cos i forgot my tape measure, D'oh!).
Although I think that none of these would be moving under their own power because the props might do some trimming as they pass through.

From the information suppled so far, i believe that gaps need to be between 11-12m wide. Taking into account a MkI Spitfire's wing span which is 11m wide, this sounds about right.

Peter-you can measure the others if you like. I think the Halifax maybe slightly wider in the tail since it has a wider track. It would be very benifical.

01 Sep 2012 05:21 #6 by PETERTHEEATER
OK, tailplane spans as measured with a scaling rule from the plan views:

Halifax III - 31 feet

Beaufighter X - 21.2 feet

Mosquito XVI - 21 feet

Source - Janes All the Worlds Aircraft 1945

02 Sep 2012 10:00 #7 by al_fromthevalleys
Thanks for the measurements.

I can now take these into the fields and compare how much these gaps have re-grown after 70 years (and this time remember my tape measure lol!)

02 Sep 2012 10:01 #8 by al_fromthevalleys
Thanks for the measurements.

I can now take these into the fields and compare how much these gaps have re-grown after 70 years (and this time remember my tape measure lol!)

12 Sep 2012 20:18 #9 by Granite
Replied by Granite on topic Aircraft Undercarriage widths
wouldn't you need to take the propellors/engine nacelles into account too?

13 Sep 2012 03:17 #10 by PETERTHEEATER
All the aircraft at that time were tail-wheel types and were usually towed backwards so the lowest part of the lateral airframe was the tailplane and hedge gaps would have to be wide enough for that. On some types the span of the T/P was about that of the centreline of the engine nacelles (twin engine) on others a little more or less. Storage units such as ASUs and SLGs that were intended to take various types needed to have gaps capable of taking the widest intended T/P (or lowest lateral airframe component). So, perhaps the powers to be said ' just make all gaps 50 feet'

Propellers would need to be 'dressed' to give the highest tip to ground clearance before crossing. Of course, everything depends on the height of the hedgerow so I assume that they were maintained trimmed to a reasonable height.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds